Tuesday, 4 April 2017

Book Review: The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian

So I finally finished what was supposed to be my February book of the month! Life got really busy, but I am so excited to write this book review!

Today I'm reviewing The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian. My general take on the book is that this is an amazing journey of prayer that can only bring growth to your marriage and your walk with God. I'm blessed to have a great marriage, but I still found that I had plenty to learn about how to truly be a good wife to my husband and an obedient daughter to God. This book taught me so much about prayer and about how important it should be in our lives. It was encouraging, uplifting, energizing and calming. I honestly feel like every wife -- whether she's been married two weeks, two years or two decades -- should read this book.

So, from a Catholic perspective, how do I find this book? Well, this is not a theological book. It's about how to pray for your husband. There are a few elements in it that are not aligned with Catholic teaching but run more parallel with the born-again Protestant sect of Christianity, but like I said, this book doesn't focus on theology, it focuses on prayer and being a godly wife. So, I don't see a problem with Catholic wives reading this book. Stormie makes it clear that divorce is not what God wants, but she also talks about how in some rare situations, it is may be an option. As a Catholic, I take that with a grain of salt and a viewpoint of love -- like I said, I have a great relationship, and I don't know what I'd do in someone else's shoes. Certainly, I believe marriage is for life and forever. I just don't want to judge others. But this book has so many good qualities that these tiny instances of shaky theology are worth overlooking. And trust me -- I don't say this lightly. I've given up on books by Christian authors before when their theology hasn't lined up with Church teaching.

How much work is required for this book? Well, it's not just a book to pick up and read at will. I personally took notes with each chapter about my own prayer strategy for my husband, and afterwards created a big "master prayer" for him out of my notes. At the end of every chapter is a prayer, as well, and these prayers are wonderful -- they cover all aspects of your husband's life and quote scripture as well. If you want, you could read through it and just say the suggested prayer at the end of each chapter. But I personally wanted to grab hold of all this insight this book gave me and use it to be a prayer warrior for my husband, so that's what I did. But this isn't an in-depth Bible study with homework to do, by any means.

In the end, I give The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian a 4.5/5. I am very happy with this book, and I've been raving about it to family and friends.

My book of the month for April is... The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian. I'm only on the third chapter, and already I feel like I am learning so much. I can't wait to review this one for you when I'm done!

God bless you!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great review. I like the idea of formulating a prayer for my husband over the length of the book-something personalized and well thought-out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this book is transforming my marriage! My favorite aspect of her advice is the practical applications she provides. I'm very visual, love schedules and lists, so I needed this book to tell me real things I can do in our everyday lives to be a better wife. They lessons she teaches about a wife's duties are freedom to me, because I am now focusing on God's word, and giving Him what's not my responsibility. And let me tell you, God's power is AWESOME! My husband told me after several weeks he could feel himself changing, and he knew I misty have been praying for him!I mean, I certainly wasn't expecting him to have a physical reaction to my prayers, but the Lord used this to get his attention. Every wife needs this book!

    ReplyDelete