Friday, 17 February 2017

A decade a day: my Lenten plan


Where does the time go? I feel like we were just celebrating the birth of Christ, and now it seems like Easter is just around the corner. But before Easter comes Lent. This has been a very spiritually-focused year for me, and I really want to take this year's Lent seriously.

Ash Wednesday is on the first day of March this year, and Lent starts on Sunday, March 5. Do you have any plans for Lent? Are you going to abstain from anything, or are you going to add to your spiritual life for these forty days? Let me know in the comments!

Right away, I knew that for Lent I wanted to give up sugar. Okay, not all sugar -- if I'm using honey in a sweet-and-sour stir-fry recipe, that's fine. And I don't want to drink my tea without a smidgen of honey or maple syrup. But that's it! I've noticed that since Christmas there has been a lot of sugar in my house, and since we struggle with our daughter's dental health (poor Boo has had a lot of teeth issues despite us, normally, being pretty strict with sugar -- we don't even have juice in the fridge) and sugar in general doesn't help with my anxiety, I am ready to be done with it!

But I don't just want to give something up for Lent. I want to add something to my life, to bring me closer to God. This year, I plan on saying a decade of the rosary every day during Lent. I hope that, once it becomes habit, I can carry on praying a decade a day in every season, and perhaps even move up to praying an entire rosary once a week.

There's no doubt to the benefit of praying the rosary -- our Mother Mary is a loving intercessor for us, and the contemplative, meditative aspect of this beautiful prayer brings so much peace into our very busy lives. And, contrary to what many non-Catholics believe, the rosary is very Biblical, in that with every decade we pray, we focus on a part of the Bible!

Please pray for me as I try to make this happen in my life! I pray that you all experience a deepening of your faith and love this Lent, and that Easter will bring us all great joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment